I personally believe that justice is very important and that a nation needs a good legal system to succeed and last a long time. I dislike our nation's legal system, and I believe that there are many changes to be made and improvements to be had. For one, in many cases, it seems like the defendant has too many rights. I understand the aim of this is to make for a fair trial, but there comes a point when it is obvious that the defendant is guilty, and prolonging the trial only makes for a a waste of time and lots and lots of money. The second complaint i have against the legal system is that lawsuits are so commonly misused. A woman sued McDonald's for not having a warning on the cup that said hot on it, because she had spilled the coffee on herself and was burned. She won the suit, and as a result received around $37 million. These types of cases show that there are many people who lack common sense and look for an easy way to make a quick buck, and don't want to work for a living. These people are commonly referred to as losers. There need to be regulations on the parameters of a lawsuit, in order to keep ridiculous cases such as these out of the system. My third and final complaint is that many punishments seem inadequate to a great many people. Some people who have been convicted of involuntary manslaughter because of a DWI have received only 5 years in prison! 5 years for killing someone! I think that this should warrant the death penalty, and that anyone accused of killing someone intentionally or as the result of plain stupidity should receive the death penalty. That's just my own opinion.
-Andrew
No comments:
Post a Comment